Someone asked me, “How do I go about accepting a WordPress Award? I do not understand how to do it. And how do you transfer the AWARD IMAGE on to your blog?”
This blog posting is an attempt to respond to those questions. I am only suggesting what it is that I do. I am sure there are other ways to respond and probably short-cuts for transferring the image, that I have yet to discover.
I have noticed that some people prefer to keep their blogs, “Award-free.” And I do try to respect that when I notice a posting of that nature on someone’s blog.
I also know, that when I first began on WordPress, I was wondering “IF” I should be a blogger and I was quite shy about writing and placing my thoughts out there for the world to see. For me, personally, the Awards, built my self-confidence as a writer and it also gave me the opportunity to express my gratitude to others and the inspirations their words, photos and drawings brought to me.
I feel the writers, poets, artists of all mediums, have enriched my life! I would never have met so many wonderful people and friends, had it not been for the WordPress forum. Blogging gave me a doorway out into the world–because, for several personal reasons, I am quite isolated, and so WordPress was my way to travel out and the traveling gave me life and hope to go on!
How-To-Transfer the AWARD IMAGE
1. Usually the person giving you the Award, will have the Award on their site to present. Go to THEIR site, if they have not posted it on your blog, find the AWARD IMAGE and CLICK directly on the Image. After you CLICK, the internet will take you to a NEW Page and only the IMAGE will be on that page.
2. Once you have clicked on the Award Image, go up to the Search Bar at the top of your screen, and COPY the address.
3. Go to your Dashboard, and to APPEARANCE…then WIDGETS. This will take you to another page. Then click IMAGE…and slide the ‘IMAGE BOX’ over to the right-hand side of your page as you are looking at it.
4.Write the TITLE of your award in the appropriate slot, entitled WIDGET TITLE: Example: “The Lighthouse Award.”
5. Now the Information that you copied from the Search Bar, should be pasted into the Image Form in TWO places. If you fail to do both places, it will NOT show on your blog. Paste the IMAGE in the (1)IMAGE URL slot and the (2)LINK URL slot.
NOW the FUN PART — Following the RULES of Acceptance of the Award
1. First, acknowledge your acceptance and gratitude for the award to the person who gave it to you. You do this by going to the blog of the person who sent you the award—I usually post the acceptance in the ABOUT page.
2. The person who sent you the award will tell you what you need to do next. Simply, follow the steps by posting your acceptance of the award and following the stated rules on a page of your blog.
3. Almost always you are asked to nominate OTHER BLOGGERS. TWO STEPS: (1) What you do in this instance, is List the Author’s Name (if you know it) and the Title of their BLOG and WHY you are nominating them. (2)You also must inform that blogger that you are giving them an award.
I think that is all there is to accepting the AWARDS! If I have forgotten anything, please comment and let me add it! I hope this helps. I had the same questions when I accepted by first award. We are all beginners at one point or another! :)