I sit on the street
with my dirty feet…
my shoes are worn.
My heart is torn.
You give a sigh…
yet, you pass me by…
But I am one of you…
I know you, I do!
I have no family
except for those who live in the alley.
I sit here by myself, alone
no food, no friend, no cell phone…
I sit here in my ragged clothes
Do you really think this is what I chose?
Dazed eyes…no longer can I cry
Emptiness looms inside
Day in…Day out
Night in…Night shouts
You sit in your room for ten-
I sit on the curb and pretend.
You throw me a dollar to spend…
But when it will ever end?
“That will help me, that will do.”
You say, “He’ll probably have a drink or two”
How you judge me, what if I do?
Wouldn’t you too?
How do you know I won’t buy a coffee,
while you go on to see your bookie?
I sit on the street…
In utter defeat.
Take me, help me get on my feet again.
Do you have that kind of time to spend?
Would you take me in your home?
Would you give me a place of my own?
Just a corner is all I need.
Can you respond to my plea?
All that is, all that could be,
I just can’t find my way, can’t you see?
I once had a home
that I called my own.
I once had friends–
Our time we thought would never end!
Hard luck came upon me
Lost my job, my dignity, all of it, you see.
If fortunes were reversed
You could be the one who thirsts
I am one of you…
I know you, I do!
Homeless people all the world around!
Homeless people in your town!
Homeless shelters but a few…
Homeless could be me and you…
Homeless in America could it be?
Homeless in the Land of Opportunity?
- Augusta’s homeless population third-largest in Georgia (chronicle.augusta.com)
- San Francisco bans overnight RV parking, expelling the homeless (myparkingsign.com)
- Sleep (thehomelessguy.blogspot.com)
- Sleeping Homeless (plushbeds.com)
- Debate Over Downtown Miami’s Homeless Population (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Mental illness likely in 93 per cent of Calgary homeless: study (metronews.ca)
- No-camping proposal would help outreach team help homeless (kansas.com)